At Kent Smile Studio, we have long held the belief that the best approach to oral health care is through prevention. Whilst this includes home brushing and flossing; regular visits to see our hygienist also helps lower the risk of gum disease and related problems. To have truly healthy gums, it is necessary to remove hardened bacteria from the teeth and gum line, something that can only be achieved with a professional and thorough clean.
Our experienced dental hygienists will work with you to:
- Plan your treatment schedule to ensure your teeth and gums are in the best of health
- Customise treatment according to the individual, whether based on age or those with certain medical requirements
- Provide a professional clean, also known as a ‘scale and polish’ which removes tartar from the teeth and gum line, an essential preventative treatment to keep gum disease at bay
- Discuss and explain ways for the patient to improve their home oral health care regimen
- Apply sealants to help prevent tooth decay if appropriate
In recent years, there has been an increasing amount of medical research which has linked gum disease with major health issues, including strokes, heart disease and Alzheimer’s. Keeping your mouth clean and healthy is therefore beneficial for not only your teeth and gums, but potentially, your general health as well.
Seeing the hygienist at Kent Smile Studio is a relaxed experience with plenty of opportunities to discuss your oral care and to ask any questions. It is also very useful to show our patients how to floss correctly. This is an important part of everyday oral health care, yet only around one in five of us do this, and many that do, do so incorrectly. So please ask our hygienist to show you how. They will also be able to offer advice on other oral health products and suggest the best mouthwashes and toothpastes for your own situation.
What happens when you see the hygienist?
- Offers improvements on how to look after your teeth better at home
- Demonstrate brushing and flossing methods for maximum health benefits
- Remove hardened bacteria (tartar or calculus) from teeth and gum line
- Suggest suitable oral care products to use
- Maintain records to monitor any ongoing issues
- Remove some surface staining from the teeth using a high speed brush
- Offer advice on avoiding bad breath
- Offer dietary advice, where related to your oral health
- Answer any questions that you may have
Talk To Kent Smile Studio in Maidstone & Chatham About Dental Hygiene Treatment
If you would like to see the hygienist at either our Maidstone or Chatham practice, please contact us at the numbers below and we’ll be pleased to arrange your appointment.